Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Did We Do Today?

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Introduction to the Lesson

The children watched me write the list of occupations/hobbies below on the whiteboard. As they were watching me write, they were reading the occupations/hobbies. When I was finished writing the children were instructed to draw one of the occupations/hobbies on the whiteboard.

The list: deep-sea diver, astronaut, firefighter, police office, missionary, mountain climber, race car driver

After the children were given a brief period of ten to fifteen minutes, they were then asked to share their pictures with each other. Each child took time to share and explain their picture. It was so neat to see all of their creative ideas! When all of the children were finished sharing, I asked them what all of these people (the deep-sea diver, astronaut, police officer, etc.) needed in order to do their job. The children were had great guesses such helping others, but one child was rather quick to shout out that each needed to be brave. We then talked about how being brave does not mean that you aren’t afraid of anything. The children and I also discussed different items that these people may be afraid of.

Prayer Request Time


We have a time each week where children are able to share their prayer requests or praises. One child is responsible for writing the requests or praises on the whiteboard. At the end of the time of sharing, I pray over the requests.

Snack Time

The children ate fish just as those that brave deep-sea diver might encounter! :)

During this time, the children were also able to share the Bible verse that they wrote down this week at home. It’s always exciting to see the children digging into the Word while they’re at home.

Bible Lesson Time

The lesson this week focused on being brave. We read from the book of Esther! The children were able to learn how Esther was brave.

We then talked about how we can remember to be brave and to pray in the times that were are afraid. The children and I discussed situations in which we or someone we may know could be afraid.

Lesson Extension/Craft Time


The children made double sided posters. On the one side of the poster (small sheet of poster board), the children wrote “I will remember God is with me.” “I will pray.” On the other side they wrote “when I am afraid of…” The children then had to fill in a time that they might be afraid and draw a picture to correspond with it.

What Can I Do At Home This Week?
If you are a parent, and looking for a way to extend this lesson into your home….look no further!

Ideas:
-Re-read about Esther with your child
-Have your child retell the story of Esther
-Have your child list sometimes people may be afraid
-Further discuss what it means to be brave
-Pray with your child
-Read the Bible with your child

Next week we will enjoy learning about making good choices!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love how God is in control! I've been reading Esther all week with my little lady. I'm so glad we had a little prep time before Sunday School this week. :) Thank you for your class!

Nikki said...

Kaitlyn and I are going to read more about Esther this week!
She has also started using her journal to write down Scriptures from her own devotional times! Thank you so much for helping them get their journals put together!