Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ABC




Sunday, January 30, 2011

Introduction to the Lesson:


As the children came in the door to the Sunday school room, they were assigned a letter. The children could have been assigned one of three letters, A, B, or C. They were then instructed to use a plain white sheet of paper to list or draw items that started with their letter. After about ten minutes, the children shared what they came up with. I also shared the ABC’s of becoming a Christian with them.

Snack:

For snack I made ice cream cone cupcakes. My next post will provide instructions on how to make these. The kids enjoyed them! Plus, it was even one the birthday of one child! I didn’t even know it was his birthday, so this worked out perfectly!

The Lesson:


Together we read Acts 8:26-40. I stopped along the way to ask children questions about the passage. At the end of the passage, the children had the opportunity to earn prizes. If they were successfully able to answer a question correctly about the passage, they could pick one item from the “prize box.” I don’t often award prizes for this, but sometimes I do.

Lesson Extension:


When I arrived at the church, I opened my Sunday school bag to find that my glue sticks were missing in action. Instead of gluing three circles, each labeled A, B, or C, I improvised and had the children make a chain. The children labeled three circles, A, B, and C. Then they added the definition for each letter, and a verse that corresponds with each letter to separated circles. We then stapled them together to make a chain.
This is one of the many times that I am thankful to be a school teacher. A few years back, I would have panicked if I couldn’t find the glue sticks. Now I just say, “Okay, how can I make this craft happen?”

During the month of February, we will be learning more about what the Bible tells us to do regarding making decisions. I hope to post some ideas that I have planned later in the week. Stay tuned for the cupcake recipe and a post later this week!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Sounds like K missed another fun and great time! She really did appreciate her get well card. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful and caring. We have missed two Sundays in a row, and I miss my church family terribly! Thank you for all you do! This blog makes me smile. :)

Miss Ashley said...

Hope to see the entire family on Sunday!!! :)